New Realities, New Choices:
A public forum on transforming the El Camino Real Corridor
On June 20, 2009, the Grand Boulevard Initiative hosted a public forum on new choices for El Camino Real attended by over 275 community stakeholders. Our speakers included:
- Michael Freedman of Freedman Tung & Sasaki, a world-class urban planner and visionary
- Congresswoman Anna Eshoo, California 14th District
- Will Kempton, head of the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans)
- Steve Heminger, Executive Director of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC)
- Chris Augenstein, Deputy Director of Planning for the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA)
Highlights of the Forum (75 Minutes)
Overview Video (15 Minutes)
Michael Freedman’s rousing presentation focused on what makes a “Grand Boulevard” and how each jurisdiction in our region can interpret the concept to fit their unique community. To view Michael Freedman's presentation, click: Forum Presentation. To download Michael Freedman's report on corridor revitalization, click: "Restructuring the Commercial Strip" (PDF, 16.3MB)
Steve Heminger provided an overview of how the Grand Boulevard Initiative fits in with the 2035 Regional Vision, in regards to both funding and sustainability.
This event would not have been possible without the generous sponsorship of Caltrans and Redwood City.